Every room of any residential or commercial building comprises of different kinds of furniture and all these furniture items need to be protected with suitable covers. The furniture cover is termed as upholstery and it can be made from different varieties of fabrics. All the chairs, sofas and other seats used at homes are covered by the upholsteries of suitable fabrics. Moreover, the seats of the cars, trains, and planes also require being covered by the upholsteries of perfect sizes. The upholsteries play a vital role in the interior decor of the house and thus should be chosen with much care.
Varieties of Natural Fabrics That Are Used for Making Upholstery
- Cotton: Most of the upholsteries in common households are made of cotton fabrics. This natural fabric is available at low price and it can be washed very easily with ordinary detergents and water. The cotton fabric is often mixed with any synthetic thread, like polyester or rayon or nylon for adding strength and to make the fabric resistant to wrinkles. Hence, the good quality cotton upholsteries all contain maximum up to 60% of pure cotton threads. It is more comfortable to sit on the cotton covers of chairs and sofas, due to the better breathability of this fabric.
- Jute: This is another natural fabric available in several attractive colours and designs in the market. As jute creates rough textured fabrics, it imparts a rustic look to the room decor and matches perfectly with the old wooden furniture and often preferred as upholstery for ottoman.
- Leather: As leather is a much stronger material than any other fabric, it is considered to be a good choice for protecting the sofas and couches. Moreover, the leather upholstery can be cleaned very easily by just wiping off with a damp cloth, thus it is more durable and good at homes where chances of stains are higher. Though usually, leather is quite expensive, now various kinds of affordable varieties of leather are also available that differ according to their qualities.
- Velvet: The rich texture and the vibrant colours available in velvet are responsible for its popularity as upholsteries for sofas and chairs in the living room. It is very soft and renders great comfort to the users, due to its weaving style with natural and synthetic fibres. Hence, it is preferred for bringing a luxurious look in the rooms, in spite of its high price.
- Silk: The silk is naturally a soft fabric with a bright look, for which it is widely preferred for making luxurious upholstery items. Both natural and synthetic silks are very light materials and thus, should be used for furniture that experiences lesser wear and tear. As direct sunlight may fade away the original colours of silk, it should not be placed in such places that are exposed to direct sun rays. The light or heavy silk covers are often backed with cotton fabrics for providing better longevity.
- Wool: The wool is a natural material that creates highly durable and soft fabrics. The woollen upholstery is preferred for its comfortable touch and easiness in regular cleaning, which is also resistant to wrinkles. It can be easily mixed with other synthetic fibers for bringing extra shine and available in many varieties of colours and textures.
- Linen: The linen is another natural fabric that is derived from flax and widely preferred for upholstery due to its soft and smooth texture. It is highly resistant to both attacks, pilling of the fabric, fading and scraping on daily uses; which make it durable for years in the original graceful state.
Apart from these natural fabrics, the upholsteries are made with many synthetic fibers, like rayon, polyester, nylon, and olefin, which are available at cheaper prices.