A CNC cutting machine is a modern evolution in cutting machine. Here, CNC stands for Computer Numerical Control which means that these machines are automated cutting devices. The best part about these machines is that there is no need to control them manually. The whole process is computerized and there is no need of any direct human assistance. All you need is to feed in the required values to the properly designed computer program and the machine is sent signals through the IC connected to that computer and the work is done.
CNC Cutting Machine
They use coded instructions that are sent to an internal computer, which allows factories to cut through and fabricate parts accurately and quickly. CNC cutting machines are so designed and programmed that they fit in with the existing machines with minor changes. A CNC cutting machine automatically cuts all types of materials, including metal, using a cutting spindle, which can move to different positions and depths as directed by the computer instructions. There are several advantages and just a few disadvantages of this machine.
- The costs of a CNC cutting machine is extremely high as compared to the manually operated ones. The machines come with high technology tools and equipment in-built within them and that increases the repair and maintenance costs as well. This costs a lot more when compared to the manual lathe machines. But, in case of large machines operated by a lot of workers, these CNC cutting machines are beneficial as they save a lot of labour charges.
- Extra training required for operating these machines is another drawback as the engineers are not well versed with this new technology and they need to learn that separately. Also, as lesser skill is required to operate CNC machines, many countries have stopped educating students on how to use manually-operated machines. This leads to an extinctinction of workmanship and art.
- Time Saving: This is one of the most prominent benefits of the CNC cutting machine. As the work to be performed is completely computerised, there is no need of labour breaks. The machine can operate for days, weeks or even months as long as there are people to keep an eye on the preventive maintenance and administer the process. The only times when you need to shut the machine off is the time when it requires cleaning and repairs. This is a huge time saving factor.
- Accuracy and Precision: The CNC cutting machine is after all a machine and unlike humans, machines do not err. The machine performs the task exactly how it is programmed to perform. The finished task has accurate measurements and precise and fine finishes. This precision ratio of manual to CNC machine is one to one thousand times. Also, the reproducibility feature of the machine ensures identical parts.
- Easy Changes: When you have workers manually making a product, any minor change requires you to explain the workers the complete change in detail and to ensure precision, a lot of care has to be taken. In case of a CNC cutting machine, all you need to do is just reprogram the software and change the needed dimensions. Also, with such programmable machines, products that were not even previously possible to be manufactured are being bulk manufactured today.
- Reduced Workers: As the process and working of a CNC cutting machine is completely automated, there is a need of just one worker to administer and oversee the complete process instead of several workers working on the lathe machines. This reduces the need of workers in the manufacturing unit and the trouble in organising and training them.
With so many advantages, it is easy to forego the disadvantages of CNC cutting machines and embrace the advent of new technology.