Dentists are medical practitioners who deal with oral health. To become a dentist, the study of stomatology is completed at times with a specialist examination (specialist in general stomatology) and later with the diploma. When you think of dental doctor you may think of your family dentist who specializes in the field of dentistry and takes care of your basic dental problems. But this profession expands far beyond your imagination and expectation.
There Are Different Types Dentists Who Are Specialized in Specific Dental Issues:
- General Dentist: He is the common most dental doctor who we all also known as family dentists. He takes care of our oral health.
- Orthodontics: Orthodontics is the branch of dentistry that deals with the prevention, detection, and treatment of deformities of the jaw and the teeth (malocclusion is concerned).
- Endodontics: This area focuses on treating pulp or internal parts of the tooth. He needs to be an expert in root canal surgeries and other methods that deal with the inner parts of the tooth.
- Periodontics: A periodontics expert has specialization in the treatment gum related oral health concern. The field of dental health deals with the tissue surround the teeth.
- Prosthodontics: This involves cosmetic treatments including installing implants and other types of prosthetics, altering the shape of teeth to beautify smile, etc.
- Pediatric Dentistry: This field focuses on the oral health a hygiene of children. He is an expert in gum diseases and other problems that affect the dental health of children.
- Oral Surgeon: They focus on the hard and soft tissues of the mouth, like gums, cheeks, and lips.
The Role of a Dentist:
The exercise of the profession is permitted only based on a valid professional license. Work permits can only be granted on a temporary and local basis. The areas of their focus are as follows:
- Identifying and treating oral health issues.
- Increasing awareness about dental or oral health and preventing issues.
- Developing and recommending treatment options that not only solve health issues but also prevent them from reoccurring in the future.
- Assessing the results of different tests, imaging, etc. related to oral health.
- Administering anesthetics safely.
- Assessing the ways in which the teeth and jaws of a patient grow.
- Providing surgical solutions to issues related to teeth, cavities, etc.
Why You Should Visit Dentists Regularly?
#1. Timely Diagnosis: If you have your teeth assessed by an expert at regular intervals, you will become aware of dental health problems and tooth decay at very early stages. This will ensure that the problems get treated before they develop into serious issues.
#2. Dental Hygiene: Regular visits to a dental health expert can ensure that you know the correct methods of brushing and flossing your teeth. An expert can also teach you other methods which can improve and maintain oral health and hygiene.
#3. Diagnosis of Cancer: Oral cancer is a major threat in current times. However, in many cases, the diagnosis is too late as the initial symptoms are usually difficult to detect. Getting an oral health checkup every 6 months is a highly effective way to ensure early detection of oral cancer.
#4. Gum Issues: Different lifestyle choices, eating habits, etc. have detrimental effects on oral health. The gum can get infected and there can be tooth decay. Regular visits to a dental doctor can prevent these problems.
It can be suggested that, even if you do not have a dental health issue, you should visit a dental health expert at least once every six months. This can ensure prevention of oral health problems and early detection of issues. However, you should look for an expert who is experienced and has the necessary educational qualification and license.