Blocked toilets are one of the worst nightmares that can come true on a working morning. This can be the result of your callousness, and you need an emergency plumber ready with all instruments and cleaning ingredients to tackle the situation fast. The main pipe, bathroom drainage pipes and the sewer pipes can get clogged together, or else, there can be a single pipe that creates all problems. In any case, if homemade remedies do not work, then you have to call an efficient plumber.
Home Remedies to Treat a Blocked Toilet
Although there are always marketed ways to treat blocked toilets there are times when you don’t have supplies in the house and have to tackle the problem really fast, with effective home remedies:
- Plunger: Take the plunger and fix it at the right place inside the pipe and create a pressure without splashing out water. Now keep pushing it in and out vigorously for some time and then pull it off and flush the drain. If the water passes off fast it means that the clog has drained, but if the water passes slow or shows no effect, then you must try the process again and after once or twice it shall get cleaned.
- Surfactants: Use a surfactant or cleanser or even a shampoo to cleanse off the blocked toilet. Just take a mighty amount of the surfactant and pour it into the toilet and also fill it with hot water and let it stay like this for a while. The block gets softened and the debris decomposes and slackens, and the accumulated dirt inside causes the blocked toilet to get cleaned automatically.
- Chemical Drain Cleaner: These chemicals are harmful substances and should be used only if you know how to use them and at rarest of times. They are easily available in the market and they have to be just put into the clogged drain and left to unblock.
- Homemade Drain Cleaner: Baking soda and vinegar is good for cleaning the drain clog by a simple process. Just pouring baking soda and then run hot water into the drain and leave it for a while. And then pour some vinegar into the drain and this shall make the clog drain off from the toilet and the drain will remain clean and dry for some minutes after this.
When to Call in a Plumber?
If employing of home remedies does not bring any positive results, and you have actually made up the mess bigger than it was, then it is time to call in an expert plumber! What a plumber does is that, he brings his tools for treating the blocked toilet and with expert knowledge he conducts his job pretty well:
- Plumbing Snake: He inserts the plumbing snake into the sink and rubs it through the pipe to unclog the drain. These are made of materials that are specifically designed to deal with the toilets and do not, in any way damage the toilet.
- Wire Processor: Here the plumber uses a pushing wire with a soft end to push off the clog by inserting the wire into the toilet, and then holding it from the other end. Regular pushing drains off the clog and unblocks the toilet.
Make sure you always use safe and hygienic ways to unblock the toilet if trying to do it yourself. You should make arrangements for cleaning any splashed water, and you should also wear gloves and masks, and use the right amount of chemicals, and also check on the expiry dates of the drain cleaning ingredients. These are some of the safety measures that will keep you safe during the drain cleaning process.