Kitchen remodeling involves coordination between various trades that must cooperate to complete the job. In case of full scale renovation, you are likely to work with a contractor, plumbers, appliance specialists, cabinet installers, electricians, kitchen designer or interior designer. Kitchen renovations add ease to your lifestyle and value to your home.
What are Points to Remember before You Opt for Kitchen Renovations?
For kitchen renovations, you must use Premium quality hinges and drawer slides means that cabinet doors will stay closed and drawers won’t stick. Always stay away from drawers that are made of particle board. Wood veneer is more durable than melamine, particleboard, MDF or lamination for cabinet interiors.
- Creating a unique wall arrangement by using wall papers, paints, decals or kitchen stickers is a good option, provided you know how to clean and maintain these for long.
- Determine cabinet height: In case you have 8 foot ceiling, then choose cabinets that go to the ceiling. Such cabinets offer more storage space thus enabling you to use extra wall space for open shelves. Leave 15 to 18 inches space above the cabinets if your ceilings are higher than 8 feet.
Countertops and Cleaning Issues Related to Your Kitchen:
For making the best kitchen renovations, you can select from varieties of Stained wood and White Carrara marble, which add warmth and elegance to your kitchens. For sophisticated looks, one can go for plastic lamination, soapstone and Wiarton limestone, Kirkstone slate. Select few reliable basic appliances instead of lots of gadgets and appliances. For instance, commercial quality stainless steel range looks beautiful and takes less space than cook top and wall ovens. When you want to consider the maintenance part, you must use glass splashbacks for your kitchen, so that there is no accumulation of dirt and grime. Natural surfaces like brick, marble, terracotta, slate are tough to clean but camouflage the odd scrap. Light colored surfaces including ceramic floors, white laminate counters are easy to clean but show everything. Also, stainless steel is not easy to keep smudge free.
Do you need an Adjacent Dining Room?
Include an adjacent dining room: An elegant design along with proper lighting and furniture, will offer an atmosphere that suits any occasion. A banquette design combined with slip covered chairs can be used for efficient space usage. Your kitchen should not look like a showroom, it should reflect you. Always use unique furniture in your design. A room consisting of wall to wall kitchen cabinets looks dull and boring.
Preparing for the Kitchen Renovations:
Never start kitchen renovation without any plan or a clear idea of what to expect. Complete the following steps before proceeding for kitchen remodeling.
- Finding a Professional: A contractor is required in case there are electrical or plumbing changes involved. Interview three to four persons and ensure their backgrounds along with their past work. Also, check home advisor reviews as you want a trust worthy person to work easily throughout the remodeling process.
- Keep Some Amount of Money for any Emergency: Always set aside a good amount of money to cover all the unexpected expenses. Keep around 20% of your estimated project cost for surprising events.
- Discuss the Timeline and Floor Plan: Before any kitchen renovations, you will be required to know the schedule and the look and feel of the renovated kitchen. The contractor will bring a designer or sketch a floor plan that needs to be approved by you.
Finally, you must know, that before starting kitchen renovations, you must sign a complete contract. If you don’t sign a contract then contractor might not be held responsible for any mistakes. So, make sure that you get the written scope of the project along with contractor’s roles and responsibilities. Apart from the full project description, the contract should include full cost estimation and timeline.